All Mine 2

Monday, July 11, 2011

Long overdue

Consumed 2011

Praise the LORD, my soul;
all my inmost being, praise his holy name.
Psalm 103:1

I can't not sleep tonight.  It probably has a lot to do with the thoughts rolling around in my mind tonight.  Anyway, I am going to do my long overdue post about Falls Creek.  It was such an ordained time.  The Thursday night before youth camp, a friend and myself took some youth girls to the Cadillac Ranch, and the Groom Cross.  I wasn't sure what God was going to do that night.  I chose a section of scripture about unity in Christ.  I have mentioned before that we (Preacher Man and I) have wanted our group to be unified.  I have been praying they could start to see each other as someone they could go to with problems or requests and they would be there for each other.  That evening before camp was a glimpse of that dream coming true.

When we arrived at camp, we had 28 youth, 4 sponsors, and 1 outstanding cook.  There was a an anticipation from the youth that had attended before...and eagerness from the 'newbies'.  That first night the speaker dude (a title that he gave himself) told us that he would be speaking out of 1 John.  Each night he would take time in each of the chapters of 1 John and show us how vital it is to be completely consumed with Christ.  He then started to share the gospel.  We had two jr. high girls step forward and make decisions.  There was rejoicing that night.

Tuesday was hot and sunny.  It was the day for the beginning of rec and our day to do the high ropes course.  I have not observed or participated in this activity.  I am not a huge fan of height, this doesn't mean that I don't enjoy an occasional roller coaster or even attempt ropes courses.  It was interesting to observe the dynamics between two people who don't know anything about the other person.  If there wasn't complete trust, there was hesitation and fear.  (completely understandable)  After just a bit, you could see this mutual understanding that they were in this together.  I loved being there to see the silly encouragement of our high school guys quoting Nacho Libre....'you have eagle powers.'  Each night we had students making bold decisions for Christ.  There was one young man who told Preacher Man as soon as we got back he needed to be baptized, and he felt a possible call to missions.

More and more I saw our group becoming more acquainted with each other.  I know that becoming a group that relies on each other takes years, sometimes a decade.  I have seen this happening..little steps to helping them rely on each other and being thankful for each other.

As with any time you leave and go on a vacation or get away from everything and go to camp, you have to come back to reality.  This is when you have to cling to God the most.  Many of our students go into homes with no christian influence.  There parents are very dedicated to them and will do anything for them.  They just simply haven't heard or unsure of what to do.  There are still many people who haven't been talked to about Christ.  The hard work begins when our students get into old habits and we don't expect them to be perfect.  Preacher Man and I want to be there for them when they need encouragement, when they need prayer, when they need guidance, etc.  For most of my life, I have been a black and white, right and wrong, idealistic kind of person.  I have had a reset button that allows each day to be new with no mistakes.  As I grow older, I feel that this changes as with all things in life.  Change isn't easy and it can sometimes be very difficult to understand.  If I didn't have Christ in my life, I wouldn't have made it through some very tough things in the last 10 years.  I pray that for many of our students say they can look at the uncertainties ahead and know that the one constant for them is Christ. 

"Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the LORD your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you.” Deuteronomy 31:6

No comments: