All Mine 2

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Youth Lab 2011


Just take in this picture.  I have always loved older buildings.  This one is no different.  There is something very cool about this place.  It is a very interesting place, but it is also a seminary.  That's right, Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary.  Brian spent so many hours here when we lived and worked at a children's home.  The couple of days we had off I would go with him and spend lots of time in the library.  I loved roaming the aisles and knowing all the knowledge and wisdom that has been put on those shelves.  We didn't go here just to visit Brian almamater.  We went to Youth Lab: Release for youth ministers and older youth that have potential to lead in the group.  

For years now, we have taken our girls to see my parents while we are there.  Friday, we met up with my dad and handed the girls off to grandparents.  Yahoo! We did miss them, but to have a time for them to enjoy grandparents and us to get spiritually fed.  It is usually an amazing weekend.  The first worship time was around 6 pm.  The worship was really good and I was just praying that God would show me things that I need to improve in our relationship.  When the speaker started, I thought that he was pretty good.  He wanted to talk about adoption.  God keeps bringing this thought to me.  Brian has been burdened for the orphans of the world.  Our speaker went from adopting one Ukrainian baby to adopting 4 older children ranging in ages 8 to 14 years old and later adopted another Ethiopian boy.  For the last year and a half his wife and he have been working very diligently to show them God and His love for them.  They have many issues that they are working through slowly.  He spoke honestly that things can be difficult but on the other side of that is the joy and happiness that they share.  This is true of any parents-child relationship: biological or adopted.  God was speaking to me.

Our first breakout session, I chose to go to a girl ministry session because the youth minister's wife sessions didn't start till the next day.  In this session, I listened as I was challenged to reach deeper and farther into my walk with God to spur on the youth girls.  I can honestly say that lately it has been difficult to not be discouraged.  I have tried to reach out to some of the youth and I get shut down very quickly.  I remember being that age and so much is going on that you get wrapped up in the here and now.  She talked about discipleship and mentoring, the differences, and how to set them up.  I realized that I did have a group that did discipleship just like she had "modeled" with her girls.  I failed in that I didn't urge my group to "pay it forward" and disciple others that are younger.  I let it just fizzle.  I didn't keep after them no matter how long it took.  I have let this time go and now they are preparing for college.  I don't doubt that they have continued to read and strive after God, but not carrying that forward to others is not ideal.  Anyway, her next session was about cultural trends.  Uh, WOW! That is literally all I could think.  I really just wanted to grab some girls and tell them how precious they are to God and to me.  There has always been sin and there is nothing new under the sun when it comes to sin.  I just get blown away at some of the things that are pretty much shoved down our youths' throats.  She talked about choosing holiness opposed to choosing to do-the-right-thing.  I have fallen into that mentality before.  God is the one who does the changing, not us.

The next day, we had worship and our speaker talked about holiness.  Ok, Lord, I am listening and I want to truly take what you are plainly telling me and apply it to my heart.  The morning session was really great.  She talked about Psalm 127 and in the afternoon sessions she spoke on how to resolve conflict or difficulty in the church.  I hate to admit it, but that was one of the main reasons I went to this track.  There is conflict everywhere, but sometimes in church life everyone needs to stop and put themselves in someone else's shoes.  This was very interesting sessions because we were taught about different temperaments.  We were all born with a certain temperament and our character is what we have been taught.  I have a more 'melancholy' temperament.  I am very sensative to other peoples needs or thoughts, a huge perfectionist (having kids has caused this to be less and less), analyze things way too much.  I do think that my parents worked hard with me to not take things too personally and it is still something that I struggle with.  If you look in the bible, you can tell that Jesus dealt with all kinds of different people and he could speak to each one in their "love language."  In dealing with church conflict, it can be very hard to know if you are resolving it and still showing God's love (even when our humanity says, "you're wrong and I don't care ________.).

My next post I will share some funny things that happened in the past few months.  Cutie Pie and Sweet Pea have been very entertaining lately.  I hope you all have a great week!

No comments: