I have kind of been putting this post off. I really wanted to have pictures to show of our latest happenings. Unfortunately, I accidentally got my SD card stuck and I have to figure out how to get it out. That being said, I will get on with it.....
We started preparations for our camping trip pretty soon after our friends left. When Preacher Man first brought up this idea, I thought he had lost his mind. The more I thought about all the times I went as a child, I thought he was on the the right track. Our girls needed some one on one time because they were starting to pick up some bad habits. On the night of the 9th, we packed up everyone and everything we needed and headed to East Texas. After driving the whole night, we were exhausted and rested for a bit and then got out to make sure we had all the food and provisions we needed for our "off the grid" adventure. Cutie Pie and Sweet Pea were excited to be able to get some fishing poles. Of course, Cutie Pie picked a Barbie one and Sweet Pea picked out Dora. Well we were all set for our trip. Friday we (my dad, Preacher Man, myself, and the kiddos) went out to a pretty active lake with paddle boats, playground, etc...but they were full and we didn't think we needed reservations. Thankfully, there was another lake close by and it was not full. The campgrounds didn't have nearly as many amenities, but it was just as nice and there was a bath house close. It felt wonderful to get out and set up our HUGE tent and the "kitchen". By early afternoon, we had a good amount of time to relax and get dinner started. All this time the girls were asking over and over if we could go fishing. When they saw that we didn't have much time to go fishing before dark, they asked to go to the playground close by. (My mom joined us after she got off work.) We enjoyed dinner, toasting BIG marshmallows, stories by the fire, and adults talking late into the night.
Saturday, there were many moments of relaxation. We weren't completely "off the grid", but we didn't have all the luxuries that most of the others had in their RVs. In the morning, Opa and Preacher Man took Cutie Pie and Sweet Pea for their first attempt at fishing. Honey Bear was constantly going to the concrete and hanging out there. She kept looking at us all like we had lost our minds, 'staying in the woods?!' This morning she was stepping off the concrete and found a spot that was low. She tripped and hit some rock and her entire face was covered with dirt and rocks. And resulted in some scratches on her forehead. We had lunch and most everyone had a chance to lay down for a nap. I think we all slept about 3 hours!! Right before dinner, the girls went back to the playground. When we suddenly heard a cry...It was Cutie Pie. There was a teenager carrying her. Cutie Pie had asked this girl to hold her ankles as she crossed the monkey bars. Cutie Pie let go of the bar and fell forward and scratched her forehead and was holding her right arm. She has broke this arm before, but she didn't seem to be acting the same way. I gave her some Tylenol and she came to eat dinner, but very soon after that she went to bed.
Sunday, we packed up everything and the rest of the day was spent going to see Preacher Man's family and Monday was very similar. I love spending time with all of our family. I can't ever take for granted how much our family cares for us. We are so blessed!
When we arrived home, it was back to the swing of things. Sweet Pea had been telling me she would potty train when she was five! (For a year she has been telling me that when she turned 4, she would go to the potty. Her 4th birthday is next month!) I began to tell her that if she didn't go potty she wasn't going to get a BIG party with a BIG cake. I know that seems hardcore, but come on, this is all strong will??! When we got everything unpacked, she looked at me shaking her hips, grinning from ear to ear, "I pooped in my pants." I cleaned her up and said, "That's it! NO more pull ups." She has been in big girls pants ever since and we have had a few accidents, but less and less. I am so thankful she got on board with the program. I have seen a different side to my Sweet Pea. When I had a chance to watch her today playing with Honey Bear, she was very clearly becoming a little girl. It made me so thankful, but also a little thoughtful. She will start Pre-K next fall and definitely gaining more Independence. I am so proud of my Sweet Pea.
Thursday and Friday, we spent the day napping early, and going to EnterMission-an apartment outreach event for our Team Kids. Friday evening, Preacher Man and I did a lock out/in. We took 24 youth bowling, What a Burger, inflatable boxing ring, a movie, and breakfast. I crashed about 5am and I didn't even hear Preacher Man come in the door. Thankfully, we had some friend help us with the girls so that we were able to do all of that crazy activities! I think that lock-ins are lots of fun, but I am starting to get too old for them. It goes really well until about 4am and then I hit a wall and it is all I can do to stay awake.
During all of those events, we found out the Cutie Pie had broken her radius bone by her wrist. She is in a full arm splint for the second time in two and a half years. I noticed that she had some bruising and some swelling still in her arm. She had been using it and the only time I noticed her favoring it was when she was holding or pushing something with that hand. Tomorrow, she will be fitted for another hard cast. I am praying that she will not have the whole arm in it. We will just have to wait and see what is decided by the DR.
All in all, we had a great time and the girls want to go again...well Cutie Pie and Sweet Pea want to go again. I just don't want to forget some of things they ask and wonder about. It really does make it all brand new for me as a parent to see it through their eyes. I do apologize for the length of this post, but it was so good to reminisce over the last week and a half. I hope your weeks have been enjoyable.
No comments:
Post a Comment