When we first welcomed Cutie Pie into our lives. I immediately wanted to protect her from harm. Whether it be a bump from learning to cruise to classmates teasing her. Well, today Cutie Pie came home in her usual way. I asked how her day was. She replied, "The boys didn't want to play with me today. But it's ok because Daddy said that boys don't know fashion." That was it?! She didn't want any more questions and quickly moved on to coloring. When she woke up from nap, I got the whole story. The boys didn't like a scrunchy-like ponytail holder she was sporting today. The girls liked it just fine, but the boys refused to play with her today. When Preacher Man picked her up from school and he heard about this. Being the amazing daddy (of THREE girls) he is, he told her that boys just don't know fashion. It was said so matter of a fact. I asked her how it made her feel when the boys said that. Cutie Pie was embarrassed. There was this side of me that wanted to protect her today.
Tonight I watched Parenthood. The show talked about the this very thing of protection. I can't protect my children from everything. I can be there for them. There was nothing I could do to protect Cutie Pie from that embarrassment. I do feel that we talked about it and maybe it won't effect her as much the next time. I never realized how much parents see themselves in their kids. My mom and I would have moments of disagreement and strife, but for the most part we have always been close. I am very thankful for this. Having Cutie Pie has helped me to see things about myself too. I see that tendency of striving for perfection. When I was in ballet at her age, I remember being sure that I got my toes pointed 'perfectly' every time my feet came off the floor. I see that she has a tendency to be a bit bossy or motherly. I had a friend that lived across the street that we would get to play in the afternoons. When we were at my house my mom would hound me about be too bossy to my friend. I thought then that she was crazy. I wasn't bossy. I just knew what we needed to do and my way was the easiest and best way to do it. Thankfully, I do see this side to Cutie Pie that is so tender. When Sweet Pea was still itty bitty. Cutie Pie would give her anything in her reach to soothe her sister. We moved from one town to our current one and they had to share a room. Sweet Pea would cry at night and Cutie Pie would be sawing logs, completely knocked out. It would amaze me. I am loving this stage of our lives. After a long weekend of severe sickness we can laugh and talk about things that come up in our journey.
No comments:
Post a Comment