All Mine 2

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Joy is NOT just a job for Pollyanna

As I was growing up there were several movies that I loved to watch, but there was a movie my mom would pop in to the VCR to get my spirit in the right direction.  If my brother and I were fighting or aggravating each other, there was a punishment to be sure.  I also remember sitting and watching a movie called "Pollyanna".  For those of you who may have not heard of this movie.  The premise of it is that in this bitter, down trodden world there is always a little joy to be found.

I don't know if you have ever been in a situation where you are cruising along and all of a sudden you are smacked in the face with someone who is just unimpressed with everything and every attempt you make to help in whatever way you can.

God has granted me a gift to be able to wake up each morning with a fresh start.  As a child, I would wake up from a restful night and whatever was said or done by my brother.  It was all forgiven and forgotten.(sometimes I would remember, but usually something jogged my memory.)  It has been an amazing gift to have.  When I accepted Christ's grace and love into my heart, it become easier and easier to forgive and forget the things that hurt my feelings.

This week I have been having a hard time letting go of this issue of bitterness or griping about things to gripe about. I think all too often we find it easier to focus on all the bad (or sin) that is in the world.  I know that I have struggled with joy or grace when there is goo on the carpet, the girls are bickering, the air condition breaks and it is 100+ degrees outside, we are running late for church or an appointment, etc.  There is just too many things to list that are bad.  If we are challenged to can we make a list of things we are thankful or joyful for in this world.

I read an article that a friend posted on facebook.  It was entitled, How to Find the Holy Grail of Joy, with a name like this.  I was definitely going to read it.  It talked about the struggle that we, as sinful fallen human beings, have to find things to be grateful for.  Augustine wrote, "without exception...all try their hardest to reach the same goal, that is joy."  This quote struck me back to my childhood.  I remember each day wanting to badly to have fun and look for the little things, even in the saddest and worst situations, that could bring a little joy.  I wanted to be a Pollyanna for my parents and brother, but as I grew older and more of the world's responsibilities took over my life.  I started to care less about bringing joy to anyones life because no one was doing that for me.  I am incredibly selfish...there I said it.

I also have the opinion we all get stuck in our routine and our 'dirt'.  We can't see out of the our own lives to see the joy that children can bring.  Yes, even unruly wild crazy behavin' children can bring joy, the mundane chores can bring joy (fresh dry fluffy laundry=joy...I am trying here.), the people that surround us who are down and out, in different situations, have different stories than our own can bring joy (even when griping about us or others).  You have to persevere through all the muck and myor that Satan tries to put on us to rip our joy and peace away from us.  I want to encourage you to try to find things each day to brings a smile to your face or joy in your heart.  If it helps to write them down, feel free to do that.  I just urge to find a notebook and play the glad game.

2 comments:

mzzterry said...

Oh you need to read...this...Ann Voskamp's Book, One Thousand Gifts. I can't recommend it enough.....if you can't read it go to (in)courage website sponsored by Dayspring where they have videos with Ann and two other ladies discussing the book each wednesday & sunday....it will encourage & bless you in very real ways. This practice of living your life FULLY by being thankful to God all day every day is changing my life & I can't say enough how wonderful it is!! Love you & your blog. God bless <3

The Brown's said...

Thanks for sharing, and spurring me on. I'm writing my joys in a journal this morning! a miracle of life, Maddie's belly laugh, Chad's enthusiasm, baby breath, clean countertops. I'm in for the challenge :)